Saturday, July 23, 2011

Night Water

The crystal water looked so bright in the crisp moonlight. So perfectly clear you could see the pebbles dancing with the shallow waves that were lapping at the shore. Small fish that were colorful in the afternoon sun had their brightness washed away by the pale moon, becoming just nondescript moving objects. At the time I was focused on the sky, though, so black it looked like it was sleeping, nestled in a dark blanket. I ran my hand through the water, and the cold sort of shocked me, sending an electrifying shiver through my body, as if the cool night had dissolved into the water giving it that defining chill. I dragged a finger across the warm sand. It took the bite out of the frigid water that was left clinging to my hand like little drops of glue. Ahhh. All was better.

2 comments: